Contact us now

Workers Compensation FAQs

Workers Compensation FAQs

Q. Do I have to be injured at work to be covered by California workers compensation?

A. No. However, your injury must be job-related in order to be covered. For example, you will be covered if you are injured while running a work-related errand, traveling on business, or attending a required business-related social function. However, generally you will not be covered while traveling to and from work.

Q. What benefits do I get if I am injured?

A. Workers compensation insurance provides replacement income, medical expenses and some rehabilitation benefits (job training, vocational schooling or job placement assistance).

If you are temporarily unable to work, you should receive two-thirds of your average wage (up to a fixed amount). These payments are smaller but they are tax-free.

If you are permanently disabled, you may receive long-term or lump sum benefits. These amounts of payment vary with the type and severity of your injuries.

Q. Can I trust a doctor provided by my employer?

A. It is reasonable to assume that this may not be in your best interest. It is best to choose your own doctor and not leave medical control in the hands on your employer or insurance company.

Q. How much would a good workers compensation attorney cost?

A. In California, the amount that can be charged by your lawyer for your worker’s compensation case is fixed by law and is a certain percentage of the benefits you receive. Picozzi, Nielsen, & Lloyd offers a free consultation to go over questions like this with you.

–‘Making a false or fraudulent workers’ compensation claim is a felony subject to up to five years in prison or a fine of up to $50,000 or double the value of the fraud, whichever is greater, or by both imprisonment and fine.’ [Lab.C. § 5432(a)]